1826- A law was passed for the development of a canal to carry coal from Blossburg.
1829- Stephen Potter, master builder, built the famous Seymour House in Blossburg..
1832- Richard C. Taylor made a survey for a railroad through Tioga County and made a geological survey map of the Blossburg coal regions.
1835- The first school building is built. This building would be moved and used as a garage.
1839- The Arbor Coal Company was formed.
1840- The Blossburg to Corning railroad began service.
1841- Sir Charles Lyell, an English scientist, visits the Blossburg coal region for the purpose of examining its resources and comparing it with English Coal.
1843- The Arbor Coal Company fails and is succeeded by William Mallory.
1847- A glass factory was established in Blossburg by Horace B. Clarke.
1848- The Tioga & Elmira Plank Road Co. was incorporated.
1850- The Tioga Plank Road becomes one of the most important interests in the County.
1850- The town's fourth school building came about. It was a Union School, which was built on property donated by Hon. Horatio Seymour.
1851- The Hon. James Magee becomes interested in the Blossburg coal business and would later purchase the railroad company.
1852- A railroad is built between Blossburg and Morris Run.
1853- The Tioga Improvement Co. mined coal at Morris Run.
1855- St. Andrews Roman Catholic Church was erected in Blossburg.
1859- The Fallbrook Coal Company was incorporated by John Magee and James Gulick.
1860- 2,200 soldiers, out of a population of 6,000, sign up for the Civil War recruitment.
1864- The Tioga Improvement Co. is succeeded by the Morris Run Mining Company.
1865- January 1st marked the beginning of a mine strike at Fallbrook that ended in May.
1871- Blossburg was finally recognized and incorporated a borough in August 1871.
1871- The Blossburg Township formed from Bloss Township fire Dept. in Blossburg..
1872- Hamilton Township (Morris Run) formed from Bloss Township.
1873- A devastating fire destroys the business district, only the newspaper store was left standing in Blossburg. One week later a suspicious fire would level that business as well.
1873- H. S. Drake, of Corning, was connected with the mining interests in Arnot.
1873- A major miners' strike hits all the coal mines.
1864-1874 Ten years coal production: In Morris Run, 3,176,181 tons; in Fallbrook, 2,755,953 tons; in Blossburg and Arnot, 1,427,024 tons.
1874- A group of citizens pushed to erect a brick shool building at the cost of $13,000.
1876- The County celebrates the United States Centennial.
1876- A parochial school was founded by the members of St. Mary's Catholic Church. It cost $2,000.
1877- The Bloss Coal and Lumber Co. burns.
1877- Father Murphy conducts Temperance Union Revival
1900- The original Blossburg Town Hall burns.
1913- William B. Wilson, became the first Secretary of Labor. and was a native of Blossburg. He held that position until 1921.
1924- J. P. Ward Foundries was established.
1934- William Bauchop Wilson died aboard a Washington, D.C. bound train near Savannah, GA. on May 25th.
1934- June 3rd, Blossburg and the whole United States paid their last tribute to W. B. Wilson when services were held at the Ferniegair Farm in Blossburg. Mr. Wilson was buried in Blossburg's Arbon Cemetery. Complete history of W. B. Wilson can be read here at www.blossburg.com thanks to the Jones family.
1935- school burns down.
1936- The new school was built and at this point it was a consolidation of the schools.
1952- An elementary school was built due to the combination of schools around the area. Also that year a kindgergarten was added to the school curriculum.
1967- Mohawk Airlines BAC 1-11 passsenger jet flight 40 crashes near Blossburg all 34 on board were killed.
1968- Blossburg is hit by another devastating fire that destroyed seven businesses. It included the town's library and much of the town's remaining history.
1972- Hurriane Agnes hits the area hard. Flooding destroys houses, roads and one bridge in town.
1993- The first Blosssburg Coal Festival was held.
2011- Major storm and strong winds damage homes, cars and leaves the 19th Annual Coal Festival in ruins and the town without power. Several people injured, but thankfully no deaths occurred. Many of the Island's 100+ year old trees were snapped off and crushed vehicles when they fell. This is the first time ever that the Coal Festival was cancelled.
If there is information missing or errors please let me know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org . Thank you.